This week has been one of the most busy weeks of my mission and I love it! We have so much work going on here; it's been great. I guess before I start, I better address football- why'd Utah have to blow it?! This was gonna be a huge game and now it's just not as cool. Elder Fredrickson is a Ute fan and we've already got the smack talking going. We're tempted to have a member text us the updates on Saturday haha! I guess it's still BYU-Utah so it'll still be a good game.
Anyway, we focus on the work, I promise! We have been teaching a man from Kenya and he should be baptized soon! He is working here to provide for his family back in Kenya. He skypes with them once a week but spends most of his time working so his daughter can go to college in Kenya. He works 65+ hours per week- crazy, right?? Yet he still has time to read the book of mormon, come to church and meet with us, he's just the greatest guy. We taught him the word of wisdom this week and he basically just said "I mean if it'll make me healthy, why not?" And Kenya is one of the biggest producers of coffee and tea - pretty cool, huh? He's come to church twice in a row now and said he'll drive himself this week! His name is Amon and he should be baptized on the 29th.
We went to the temple this week and I just loved it. The new video is great and I had a great experience this time around. I think I got more from this time than any other time before- the temple is just an amazing place to feel God's love and to just calm down and relax. Missionary work is stressful sometimes, so it was nice to be able to just sit there for a few hours without a care in the world :)
So I haven't biked once in this area which is nice. The bus is the best thing to ever happen, including sliced bread. Not only do we get to ride around in an air conditioned bus, but wee meet so many interesting people. We teach people on the bus all the time and it's great. The other day we met this really old guy that was way too drunk for how old he was. He started telling us about how God created dinosaurs trying to create man and just messed up. He told us we needed to grow up and buy a beer and we just couldn't stop laughing. He said some other profane things that I won't mention hahahaha. And he had to be at least 85 years old. Ahh, gotta love people.
Last week a guy in a wheelchair came up to us and asked us to tell him about Mormonism. So we went there this week and it turns out he has a degree in religion and history. So we thought he was gonna start bible bashing us, but he actually loved everything we told him. He said it all made sense from all the education and experiences he's had and that he can't wait to learn more. He said he would be baptized if he received an answer about the book of mormon so we'll see if that works out! We just love talking to him and teaching him cause we always end up learning something new! We'll see how that plays out.
Speaking of bible bashing........we got into a pretty good one this week. I'd say my first real bible bash. Well, we were really trying not to bash but he really wanted to. He was referencing a scripture in Matthew that says there won't be marriage in the resurrection. We tried to explain it was talking about worldly "until death do you part" marriages, but he was having none of it. He told us the Bible is perfect and doesn't need any clarifying and blah blah blah. It ended well and he told us he'd pray about the book of mormon but he's a little too hard headed, I think. We might take a sciptorian member with us this week even though we probably shouldn't.....ahhh missionary work is way too fun!!!
There was an 8 year old baptism this week, so technically, We're at a 100% baptism rate for this transfer! Ha ;) I was feeling SO dizzy yesterday and we were at the church for 8 hours. It was miserable. We got back to the apartment and I just passed out cause I could barely stand. So that was no fun. But I'm feeling a lot better now so it's all good. Tomorrow we have a multi zone conference with Elder Kopishke of the seventy!! We're getting stoked. He asked us all to come up with a question for him so we've been thinking up some good ones. Still no visa news, but it's all good. I have learned so much here and I obviously need to stay here a bit longer!
Love you all so much!!!! I am happy and healthy! (well...recovering) Y'all mean the world to me and I hope you have a great week! GO COUGS!
Love,
Elder Weight
No comments:
Post a Comment