Follow Chase while he is in Brazil! We will post his weekly email/pictures on this blog.

Monday, January 13, 2014

Umbrellas, McDonalds and Sweet old ladies

Another week gone and it´s already the 13th of January?? This year is already flying by. And this is the last week of the transfer, how crazy is that? This transfer has been faster than any other, it´s strange. I´m really hoping I can stay here in Santa Maria with Elder Pontes, but we´ll see. I feel like I still have a lot of work to do here. It was a lot cooler this week with a bunch of rain, so that was nice! And thank goodness for umbrellas. Seriously, whoever invented those things is a genius. I guess this week is supposed to be really hot though, so that´ll be fun

Last Monday we went to a big shopping mall here. I knew Brazil had malls, but I didn't really know what to expect, but it was just like an American mall! It was strange. It had 3 floors with a bunch of shops, a cinema, a huge Christmas tree in the middle of it, McDonalds and Subway! Although everything was very overpriced, especially McDonalds/Subway. Like $25 (about 12 dollars) for a sandwich and drink. Haha so we waited and bought a huge pizza for the same price :)

So this week was a bit slow investigator wise, but it was still good. Darci, the man who lost his legs, will be baptized in 3 weeks! He came to church this week and we had a family night with him and his family yesterday. He is so excited about everything and I love teaching him cause he is understanding of my portuguese haha. When I talk to people that I don´t know yet, they give me this look like "What is this american doing in Brazil and why is he trying to speak portuguese" Haha so it´s nice talking to people that know I´m still learning :) Anyway I really hope I get to stay here so I can see his baptism! 

So I forgot to tell you about my two favorite investigators last week. For some reason, really old ladies are just attracted to us. We were walking down the street and this old lady named Concordia stopped us and took us into her home. She has some major mental problems and she doesn´t have any teeth, so even Elder Pontes doesn't understand her. But she told us she was sick and so we gave her a blessing. She was so grateful and told us to come back everyday. So every other day or so we stop by and share a little message with her. Poor lady, it is always blazing hot in her house and it´s disgusting too. Be grateful for what you have!!!

So another day, we were walking down the street and Elder Pontes needed to buy a pen. We found this little shop on the road run by this old lady and her daughter. The old lady lives in a side extension of the shop and asked us to pray with her back there. We started talking to her and she is 90 years old and has 25 children. At least, that´s what she said haha. We gave her a blessing too and she told us to come back everyday too! Haha she´s not quite as mentally ill as Concordia and can actually understand us. Every time we visit with her, she kisses our hands as we leave. I just love old ladies! 

We started Capoeira classes at the church this week, too. We found this teacher that said he would do classes for us every week, and last week 18 non members showed up! They did kind of a demonstration for the first class and it was AMAZING.  Capoeira is Brazilian martial arts and it is the coolest thing in this world. Seriously, you gotta look up some videos. They have this drum and this instrument that they play during the fights. Everyone gets in a circle and two people go to the middle and start going at it. They never actually hit each other, but it is amazing! I´ll take some pictures and videos this week so I can show you.

Well, I don´t have much time left, sorry! My Portuguese is still a work in progress...Pray for me a lot cause I need it! It get´s better each week, but it feels like it should be getting better a lot faster and it´s not...maybe I just need more patience! So if you have any tips about how to be more patient, let me know haha. On the brightside, I still have my Heavenly Father and I know he is and will help me! There´s my short message for the week, God loves you and is there for you! I promise! 

Love you all so much! I think about you everyday and can´t wait to see your faces again in May! Have a good week and remember to pray for me!

Love

Elder Weight

No comments:

Post a Comment