Follow Chase while he is in Brazil! We will post his weekly email/pictures on this blog.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Brazil update

Hello family! This week was a rough one for me, but it ended very well :) This will probably be kinda short cause I don´t have a lot of time and really don´t have a ton to say this week. 

So Elder Pontes left for the other area Tuesday, and Elder Shepherd arrived here with Elder Pereira and I. Elder Shepherd is on his last transfer and he is a really cool guy. I had heard a lot of rumors about him and a lot of people don´t like him, but I like him. We've stayed up late talking about random stuff like everyday this week haha. He has a guitar too and he's been teaching me how to play. It's a lot harder than it looks haha! But he has a bunch of tabs for a bunch of different songs so I've been tinkering around with it, and I can actually play a couple songs! Guitars are pretty cheap here, like 75 dollars, I´m thinking about getting one :) But then I´d have to pay a load of cash to send it home so maybe I´ll just wait. I dunno, we´ll just have to see :)

Wednesday we had a trainers meeting in the morning and then I met my new companion! His name is Elder Gomes and he´s from Fortaleza. He doesn´t speak a word of english, so that´s been pretty hard. My portuguese has gotten a lot better, but Pontes knew a lot of words in english which helped. If I didn't know I word, I could say it in English and Pontes would tell me what the Portuguese word was. I don't quite have that luxury anymore haha! But you know, we get by. We use lots of hand signals and my portuguese-english dictionary is getting pretty worn out. Anyway, Elder Gomes is a great guy. He's been a member all his life, his dad is the Bishop of his ward and he is very smart. He´s already a great teacher and really knows how to do missionary work. It´s basically like he´s teaching me! He doesn´t talk a lot though, and my conversational portuguese skills are weak which leads to long quiet walks...haha. He´s a really good guy and I think it'll be a great transfer. It's been an adjustment though. It was really hard at first, cause now I'm the one that makes the decisions, I'm the one that has to understand everything people say, I'm the one that talks on the phone, I just gained a lot more responsibility and it was kind of stressing me out. I felt inadequite (horrible spelling, sorry. no english spell check haha) and in over my head. But I just kept praying for strength and kept trying to do my best. Then Saturday was the baptism of Lui. As we were getting everything ready, I just knew everything was going to be okay. I am a representative of the Lord Jesus Christ, and even if I do everything wrong, as long as I am out working each day and being obedient, miracles will come, God will strenghthen me and the work will progress. The baptism was wonderful. It was a complete surprise to his girlfriend and she seemed really happy. His parents came too and enjoyed it. One interesting thing - at the same time in the chapel, there was a funeral of some non members. It was so contrasting to see the people at the funeral and at the baptism. Obviously, they're very different things, but being near the funeral just made you miserable, whereas the baptism just made you happy. There was a noticable contrasting spirit at the funeral and i just wanted to tell them all that everything would be okay! 

The plan of salvation is real and life never ends. It's all true, i promise! I love you all so much. Keep me and my work in your prayers. I think about you and pray for you all the time. Have a wonderful week, love you so much!

Love, 

Elder Weight

No comments:

Post a Comment