Well, not much news this week, but I do have a few great stories! So first off, I have to talk about the cup of course haha. It is literally the only thing people like to talk about here. There is nothing else! So Elder Christensen and I were getting sick of all the people telling us the USA has no chance and that we´re so horrible and that we won´t even beat Ghana, mostly from our companions. So we decided to make a bet. If the US wins, they have to buy us a huge bag of doritos (really expensive here) and if Ghana wins we buy for them. We had a family night at the Bishop´s house Monday and unfortunately NOBODY showed up. But we did get to see the last goal of the US and we got to throw it in the face of ALL the brazillians that we won. And we enjoyed doritos the next day. Win win situation. But too bad the US couldn´t pull it through yesterday, big bummer. I guess they´re waiting to give me the best birthday present ever by beating Germany on Thursday. Haha we´ll see!
So we had found like 3 new families these past few weeks, with huge potential, and they all cut us this week. But one of them gave me one of the best stories of my mission thus far. We had met this lady and her 4 year old granddaughter on Tuesday, taught the restoration, and she seemed quite interested. She told us she was catholic, but had a few doubts the catholics never seemed to answer. We went back later in the week and her granddaughter ran out, saw it was us, and ran back inside. After a few minutes she returned (the little girl) and said "I think my grandma doesn´t want to talk with you two anymore. She thinks she´s not home, but I think she doesn´t want to talk to you." That has to be one of the best ways to be cut by an investigator. Hahahaha we were laughing about it for the rest of the day, it was so funny. Theres always good to find in the bad right? And although we lost a few this week, we did have a few doors opened. Our golden family i always talk about will finally be able to come to church! The father, Luis, will most likely be released from Porto Alegre tomorrow for good. He is awesome and firm and ready for baptism. Also, a less active family we have been working with had two more grandchildren move in with them this week, and they want to be baptized. We are also going to start teaching their son´s wife this week who is not a member. And we have a few service projects set up with potential investigators so things shoud improve! There´s always a bright side of things.
I already sent this to Dad, but I thought I´d share it with y'all. A little bit random, but hopefully it can help someone who is reading! I´ve been thinking a lot about repentance these past few weeks. I got ahold of the miracle of forgiveness and it´s a great book. Yeah it makes you realize that basically everything you do is a sin, but it´s really great haha. I was reading about the part of repentance where you have to abandon the sin. I think sometimes this is the hardest part of repentance. We realize we made a mistake, we feel sorry and want to change, but we just can´t get the strength to stop! I read a part where pres. kimball shares a story/parable of a general in war. He asks a soldier to deliver an important message and the soldier responds "i´ll try, sir"" The general tells him he doesn´t want him to try, he wants him to deliver the message. The soldier, a little confused responds "I´ll do my best!" The general tels him he doesn´t want his best, he want the message to get there. The soldier again responds "I´ll deliver the message, or i´ll die trying!" The general is a bit mad now and responds "I don´t want you to die either! I want you to deliver the message. It is an easy task, there is nothing in your way that will stop you from doing it, and you are fully capable. Just deliver the message!" Sometimes I think we tell ourselves it´s just not possible to change, or that we´re trying our best and not acheiving. But God has promised us that if we truly put forth our effort, we can overcome any trial, affliction or temptation that comes our way.
1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
God will never try us above that which we are able. We must remember that Christ already overcame any trouble we have, so with his grace, we are capable. D+C 122 The son of man decended beneath them all, are ye greater than he? Is your trial greater than his? Nope!
Well, I love and miss you all! This week should be a good one - my birthday, transfers, exchanges, world cup excitement and more missionary work! ah, my life is wonderful. Have a great week and I´ll talk to you next week!
Love,
Elder Weight
No comments:
Post a Comment