Welcome to the beginning of the end! Isn't that weird- my last Preparation Day in America! These past 3 weeks have gone so fast.
So this week we got a new companion, Elder Linton. He is from Centerville and he is great! We are having fun in our trio and the work is going well. It was sad to see Elder Harman leave, I miss him a lot. He was a very good missionary and helped this area out a ton. I think he was more sad to be leaving than to go home, poor guy. He loved this ward so much and it killed him to leave. He said he would live in this ward in a heartbeat, especially since he hates Utah haha! He actually called us yesterday morning and he seems to be doing well.
Thanksgiving was good, but it was just not the same without my family!!! We had 3 separate food appointments so we were sick of even looking at food by the end of the day. We ate at the Sedgewick's first, ate a bunch of food, and watched a wee bit of football. We saw the opening kickoff of the Cowboys game, when he fumbled and the raiders scored, I was laughing pretty hard. I could just imagine the Masons going crazy over it. Too bad they won ha ha. The Sedgewicks served their missions in the Philippines and met as missionaries on their mission. Sound familiar??? Hee hee. They're a great family and we had fun over there. Then we went to the Crawfords, ate a ton more food, and hung out with their family and kids. They had about 25 people over and they thought it was packed. I told them about our Thanksgiving with over 40 and they couldn't believe it. We love our big family! To end the day, we went to the Vergaras, and had more food! It was only dessert, but still. I'm pretty sure I gained like 5 pounds in the day. We played dominos and church history trivia haha it was a lot of fun. All in all though, it's just not the same without your own family! Holidays are fun with all the food and decorations and games, but it's all about family. I miss you all so much!!! I'll be able to call you in just one week though! So excited!!!
So Rick and Jody are doing SO well! Their car broke down so they weren't able to get their marriage license this week. BUT! We have an awesome ward! Brother Godfrey is a mechanic and agreed to check their car out, Brother Messervey agreed to take them downtown this week and Bishop Magonigal agreed to marry them in their home this Wednesday! Rick and Jody said we were the only ones they wanted at their wedding, how cool is that! They moved her baptism up to the 7th so I could be there. They are amazing! She still eats up everything we teach her, keeps all her committments and cannot wait for her baptism. That will be a wonderful close to my Alabama mission.
Now Saturday. This is probably the best and craziest story I have had on my mission so far. So the game (Iron Bowl, 1 Alabama vs 4 Auburn) starts at 2:30 and we have nothing to do. Everyone loves football around here and no one wants to hear from the missionaries. So we visit with Jajuan for a bit and then visit a few members close by. We end up at the Vergara's during the last few minutes of the game. This is when Auburn scores with 30 seconds left to tie the game. Overtime for sure right? So we head out to see another family nearby. All of the sudden, we hear screaming coming from 3 different directions and we realized something crazy just happened. Elder Linton sees some people screaming and jumping up and down, decked out in Auburn orange. He goes to knock on the door to find out what happened. Elder Nielsen and I didn't want to bug them so we started to leave. Then this guy comes out on his phone and asks us if we saw what happened. We say no and he invites us right in. There are probably 15 Auburn fans, completely wasted going insane. They rewind the game and show us the last few minutes and show us Auburn running the Alabama missed field goal all the way back for a touchdown. They go crazy again and we are just loving it. I wore my Alabama tie that day and I'm just doing my best to cover it up so they don't see. Then they give us all this food and start asking us all these questions! This one lady probably asked us 5 times if we wanted some beer. Hahahaha so we find out one of them lives in our apartment complex and we get invited back for next weeks game. It was just hilarious. Welcome to Alabama!!!
I don't have a lot of time, but I'll talk to you in person very very soon! I love you and miss you so much, have a wonderful week!
ROLL TIDE,
Elder Weight
(Yes, I'm still rolling tide.)
No comments:
Post a Comment