You would think the biggest holiday of the week is on Thursday but you are flat out wrong. Thanksgiving is nothing compared to IRON BOWL SATURDAY. Seriously, it's going to be crazy - especially cause they're both in the top 10. Now I just gotta figure out what I'm going to do during the game - I'll probably end up in the house of the biggest Alabama fan in the ward and say something like "Oh, the game is today? Whoops! ROLL TIDE!" ;) We'll see!
This week was wonderful! Elder Harman's last week!!!! He's started crying a couple times cause he's gonna miss his mission so much, poor guy. They had him speak in sacrament meeting - this ward loves him a lot. They're really gonna miss him and we'll miss him too. He's a great guy and he really loves the people. He knows this area really well, so it'll be tough losing him haha. Oh yeah, transfers are this week and we're recieving a new companion! There'll be three of us so when I leave they won't have to change anything. President told me at zone conference that he wanted me to be district leader until I left, not sure why haha! I guess he just really wants me to experience being a leader or something. I'll do my best for the two weeks I'm here!
Zone Conference was awesome. President Hanks just gets it! He is the best speaker and always gives great trainings. It lasted 6 hours but it didn't even feel long! I really could listen to him speak all day. He gave us all copies of his powerpoint on our flash drives so I'll have to show that to you when I get home. He knows how to talk to a big group and how to keep them interested and entertained. He talked a lot about Alma 7:11-13 which is one of my favorite scriptures. It tells us exactly what Christ did and very basically what the atonement does for us.
1. "He will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people." (v.12) He died and rose for us so we will all rise again! Because of Christ's sufferings and death, we will all get our bodies back! Pretty amazing.
2. "The Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance." (v.13) He took upon himself our sins so they are able to be washed clean through obeying the gospel! Still pretty amazing.
3. "He will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people...he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to csuccor his people according to their infirmities." (v. 11-12) He took upon not only death and sins, but ALL pains and sicknesses and hardships! That way he knows how to help us because he's been through it before! Even more amazing!
Sorry about the preaching haha I just think it's pretty cool! Yet people STILL say we aren't Christians.
Missionary work wise this week was a little slow. Elder Harman has been saying goodbye to a lot of members which has been good. Jacob, our investigator who had a baptismal date has fallen off the face of the earth. Haha he won't answer any calls or texts or anything. We're thinking his family gave him a bunch of anti which is no bueno! But Jody is doing great!!! She is seriously the most golden investigator I've ever heard of. She eats up everything we teach her and loves every minute of it. The ward has been really good to her and she loves relief society. I can't believe she just showed up out of nowhere. Rick is doing great as well. He told everyone Sunday he hadn't been to church in 30 years, but from now on he wouldn't miss another Sunday. He has a long road ahead of him, but he is determined to get back on track. He loves to tell us all about his mission. We can tell he's really loving spending time with us and seeing Jody learn and change. The gospel is amazing and changes lives!
I don't have much time, but thanks for all the love and support. I say that every week but I really mean it, I love and appreciate you so much!!! Have a great Thanksgiving and tell the family I say hello! Until next week.
Love,
Elder Weight
No comments:
Post a Comment