Follow Chase while he is in Brazil! We will post his weekly email/pictures on this blog.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Short week!

Sorry this is late! We had some appointments come up yesterday and had to cut our day short.This week was wonderful - I had one of the most spiritual experiences of my life! It was quite amazing. And it might not seem big, but it was real cool.

So I was on an exchange with Elder Fredrickson. It was pretty nostalgic - back to the good ol Birmingham days! Elder Fredrickson and I get along so well, it just feels like we've known each other forever. It's weird. Anyway, we go to teach this part member couple - the husband (Tom) hasn't come to church in forever but has a strong testimony (weird, right?) and his wife (Susan) doesn't believe in God. So we're about to go to their house and E Fred realized he didn't have his GPS. So we go back to get it and he happened to have a package from his sister. She sent him a talk about how we must take a step into the unknown and believe in God before we can have a testimony of the restoration and the gospel.

So this made him change the lesson plan to simply faith in a "higher power." We asked them what attribute they would want their "higher power" to be if there was one. She answered "comforting" and "guiding but not interfering." We then asked her to try praying to see if a higher power DID have these attributes. Surprisingly, she agreed! That in and of itself was a miracle. Tom told us during the meeting he lacked faith, even though he has a testimony of the book of mormon. He didn't really expound so we didn't think much of it. We get home that night and we're sitting there talking about life and stuff when Tom starts texting us. He told us the reason he lacks faith is because he has not made changes in his life after seeing miracles. He gave us a bunch of miracles and said "but I have been waiting for the greatest miracle that I saw tonight that he (the spirit) told me would happen. Susan has never agreed to pray before. Thank you." We had no idea what to say to him at that point, so we called the assistants and asked them.

They found a quote from Elder Bednar "the blessing that comes to us through heavenly windows may be greater capacity to act and change our own circumstances rather than expecting our circumstances to be changed by someone or something else."

Elder Fredrickson called Tom and shared this quote along with some other inspired words. Neither of us even remember what he said, but it was definitely the Holy Ghost. Afterward we were thinking of some scriptures we might be able to share with him as well, and I started randomly reading 2 Nephi 4. Those were and are some very powerful words, I felt just like the apostles did in Luke 24:32 "Did not our hearts burn within us...as he opened to us the scriptures?" We just felt the presence of the spirit so strong that night and in that moment, we KNEW God was real, and that we are doing his work. Susan and Tom may never actually progress, but this night will help me throughout my life. That right there is what President Hanks calls "Emmaus experiences" from Luke 24: 13-32. He tells us to write them down so we can always rely on them when life gets tough. Afterward Elder Fredrickson and I agreed I was meant to come to Alabama, not just for the people i have helped, but that we would be companions! I would imagine it'll be just like Mom talks about when she saw her old companions when I go to his homecoming! 

Anyway, that was the highlight of my week. I don't think I've even told you yet - I'm in a trio right now! Elder Nielsen is a visa waiter to australia and his companion just left for Brazil. He joined us two weeks ago and I think I just forgot to mention it! Haha what a great companion, huh? He's a cool kid; we have a lot of fun.

Sunday was an amazing day as well. An inactive member, rick, came for the first time in 30 years with his non member girlfriend, judy. We taught her the restoration during sunday school and she accepted a baptismal date for the 14th of december.Rick went on a mission and he was quoting the first vision with us, it was crazy. After church, they went to the bishop and asked when he can marry them so that she can get baptized. Mission miracle for sure!!! A kid named Trey also came to church with his girlfriend who is a member. We ate at her house afterward and had a restoration lesson with Trey and her family and he ALSO said he would be baptized!!! Man, that day was insane. 

1 Nephi 1: 20 But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender cmercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of ddeliverance. 

I know the Lord has helped me to be mighty because of my faith! I am humbled by this opportunity to be a representative of Jesus Christ and try everyday to be the best servant I can! I love my mission and I love these people. I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God and I know I will live with all of you forever! And I love it!

Thanks for everything, I love and miss you. Thanks for all the letters and emails and packages and love and prayers you send my way! They help a bunch. I am so lucky to have such a great family. Keep moving forward and know I am thinking of you!

Love,

Elder Weight

No comments:

Post a Comment