Follow Chase while he is in Brazil! We will post his weekly email/pictures on this blog.

Monday, April 28, 2014

Dogs and missionary work

Dear friends and family and strangers,

Can´t believe April is already ending! It feels like conference was yesterday and now it´s May! How strange. And you know what May means......MOTHER´S DAY! I´ve already got three options of members houses I can use to skype, so be ready! Let me know what time will work best for you, cause my schedule is pretty flexible. I can already tell that speaking english is going to be strange for me. I´ve started to think in portuguese without even realizing it. I never thought it would happen, but it´s becoming easier to speak portuguese than english!!!!! Can you believe that?

So this week was pretty good. Unfortunately, Giovanne wasn´t baptized and it doesnt look like he will be anytime soon...his Mom said she wants him to wait until he´s 18 to make sure it´s something he really wants to do. But we´re thinking that he has started having some doubts and doesn´t really want to be baptized anymore, so that´s too bad. But ya know, when one door closes, another one opens! A member took us to one of her friends house to give her a blessing. She is a pretty heavy smoker and found out if she doesn´t cut back, she could lose her leg. Turns out she had already been taught a few times by some sisters and is pretty interested. She said she has been to about every church you can think of, (including ours) and just can´t find one she wants to commit to. So we taught about the restoration, committed her to stop smoking and invited her to church. She was completely ready to go Sunday and loved church. She has already cut down from two packs per day to a few cigarettes per day. She already has a ton of friends in the ward and she seems to be liking everything, so we are pretty excited! We have been having trouble finding investigators. We seem to be doing everything - contacting, working with members, knocking doors, service, everything! So finding her was an answer to prayers, and this week we´re gonna try a few more finding ideas and hopefully find some more. This week our ward mission leader was released and a new one called. He got home from his mission about 2 months ago and he KNOWS how tod do missionary work. I think it´ll be really good for this ward, cause they´ve been having some troubles in the work. But this week the sisters have a baptism and things seem to be picking up! 

Cool story: This week we were on our way to lunch and we found this dog injured in the street. He had been run over by a car and hurt his leg pretty bad. He had a collar so we found this lady who took her home and fixed up the dogs leg. Then the sisters went to "check up" on the dog and started teaching this lady and her family. And then the dog ends up belonging to a less active lady in our ward who we helped reactivate. So now the sisters have a new investigator and we helped our less active find her dog! Funny how everything works out, huh?

I gotta get runnin, but I am happy and healthy! I am loving the work here and everything is swell! I love my companion, he is the greatest. Our ward is great. It´s been tough these past few weeks, but nothing I can´t handle. My portuguese gets better and better everyday and the world cup is just 1 month away. How much better can things get!? I love you all and miss you all so much! I hope you have a wonderful week and remember - Jesus loves you. And I love you too!

Love,


Elder Weightchê (how to pronounce my name in a brazilian accent)

No comments:

Post a Comment