Transfers are this week and Elder Henderson and I are still stuck together!!! Haha luckily we get along really well, or that would make life even harder. Elder Winfree is being transfered which is bitter sweet. Being in a trio has been kind of annoying-it just throws everything off balance. We have finally adjusted to life in a trio and now he's leaving! He's a great guy and really helped our companionship out a lot, so it'll be sad to see him go. We'll be here another 6 weeks or until we get our visas, whichever comes first. Still no word on the visas, but I wouldn't imagine being here in September. You never know though! I almost kinda want to be here for the first Alabama football game-that would be pretty cool. People are already getting all excited for it, even though it's over a month away haha! College football truly is a second religon for people around here!
This week has been pretty good! It's been HOT. Scorching hot. This weekend the rain has actually come back, but earlier in the week was miserable. Especially on bikes! On Wednesday, our district leader Elder Evans, did and exchange with us. That day we rode probably about 20-25 miles in the "feels like 106 degree" weather. It was AWESOME. Haha but it was okay. We taught a new investigator named Scott and he seems really interested so we'll see where that goes. This week we've done quite a bit of service and member work. It's so hard to find a balance between everything-that's definitely the key in missionary work. But the branch here is kind of weak with a lot of old people, so we're trying to strengthen the branch and bring younger people back! It's hard to bring investigators to church if the branch is struggling itself.
I don't know if I've told you about Brother Lutz and if I have, sorry for the repeat. The first week we were here, we saw his name on the roster and decided to go and visit him. He told us he hadn't come to church in 12 years and had no intentions of coming back. So we left a blessing on his house and didn't really think much of it. We visited him again about 3 weeks later and he let us in and let us give him a blessing! From that point forth, he has been coming every week to every activity and every church meeting. He's been letting us teach his father in law and been visiting with Jerry almost every day. His wife is not a member and she came to church with him yesterday and is now taking the discussions from the sisters! He's been trying to quit smoking and is down from 2 packs a day to a couple a week. It has been so cool to see the Spirit work on him and see the turnaround the chruch has made in his life. He is now one of the strongest members in the branch and it definitely wasn't because of us! It just takes that one spark, that one little seed like Alma 32 talks about. This gospel changes lives and I've seen it first hand. Pretty much everyone around here has word of wisdom problems and sometimes they can be hard to break. Most people we meet are smokers and everyone drinks sweet tea. But I know that bringing the Book of Mormon and this wonderful gospel into their lives can bring a 180 degree turn around. I have loved seeing the difference it makes in people's lives, it just confirms and strengthens my testimony every day! I KNOW this church is true and I know that God lives. Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world and just like the children of Israel, all we have to do is look to him and we will be happy. John 3:16 is one of my new favorite scriptures. I love it!
I love y'all so much, I hope everything is going well. I am so grateful to have such a wonderful, loving family. I am so jealous of you right now, I would give anything to take a little one week break for Navajo/Cedar City. Make sure to send me some pictures!!! Love you, have a great vacation! Tchau!
Love,
Elder Weight
No comments:
Post a Comment