Well hello! This week was one of the fastest weeks of my mission and I don't even know why. It doesn't seem like we even do anything but then you think about each individual day and we do so much. It's crazy. So I'll try to recall everything we did... I do remember that it was VERY cold. Never in a million years did I think it could ever get cold in Alabama, but it did. I think it got down to freezing and then add wind chill and humidity and it's just freezing. People always told me this but I didn't really believe them- I just thought they were whimps. But it truly does get cold, so don't expect to come here in December with 70 degree weather cause it's not gonna happen! Haha. Maybe it's because I'm in the north part. It has warmed up a bit though, which is nice.
I DO know we were fed EVERY NIGHT this week. It was insane, this ward takes care of us. One night a member had to cancel and felt so bad so she gave us Jason's Deli gift cards which we gladly used. But we have been fed everything from enchilada's, breakfast for lunch, rotisserie chicken, Brazilian beans and rice, and more. I really don't know how it happened, but everything just lined up perfectly. However, we have still been working!!! We met with quite a few less actives this week, trying to strenghthen their faith and hopefully feel of the spirit. We found a few new investigators as well, hopefully we can follow up with them this week and get the ball rollin. This area is HUGE and not having a car makes things a little bit difficult. But we make do with what we have and try our best. This is a pretty tough area as far as investigators go cause it's very rich. Not that rich people aren't teachable or prepared, it's just a little bit harder to get through to them. So we have been focusing a lot on part member families and we have been trying to get the members to refer us to their friends. And with less actives, we've been trying to build relationships with them and just serve them the best we can. That's all missionary work is really, is service! Even broader, that is all the Church of Jesus Christ is- service! Think of every major function of the church and all it does is help other people. Nobody gains anything from being an active member of this church. Heck, this is probably one of the hardest church to be a member of! So why does it continue to grow? Because helping others is one of the most rewarding things you can do. I can guarantee you that Christ was the happiest person to live on the earth because all he did was serve! I think that's the reason I'm still on my mission- cause if I was not helping people, this would be the most miserable time of my life. But, as I focus on others and try to build and strengthen them, I am just so much happier! It's weird how that works out, isn't it? So go out and serve someone this week, I promise it'll make your week better! "When ye are in the service of your fellow being, ye are only in the service of your God." Mosiah 2:17
Anyway, sorry for the service rant- sometimes I just keep typing and I don't stop. I must be a missionary, or something. Yesterday was the primary program which was so cute. I just love little kids. It brought quite a few less actives and visitors to church which was nice. We had the entire chapel filled which doesn't happen too often. I met a lot of the kids this week at our various dinner appointments so it was fun to watch. One of the kids got up there and said "God the father and his son Joseph Smith appeared...I mean Jesus appeared to Joseph" it was pretty funny. They had us come into primary too and played a little game with us which included getting our ties cut. They gave us old ties before, but the kids thought it was real and they were so concerned for us. I just love little kids.
Today we had a zone activity which was a lot of fun. We waxed all the cars, ate pizza and then played like 12 games of dodgeball. It got intense toward the end but our team pulled through. I am in a great zone, there's a lot of good missionaries. Elder Fredrickon and Bickley are just hilarious together, I can't believe President put them together as zone leaders. But I love em. Elder Harman is doing well, still not trunky! He is getting pretty excited to go home though, I can tell. Luckily he's a good missionary so it's not affecting him. I'm going on an exchange with the spanish elders tomorrow so I'll get to work on my spanish. We'll see how that goes...and this weekend we get to go back to Birmingham to see Tom baptized!!! So it'll be a fast week for sure.
Love you all so much. Thanks for everything you do and all the love and support. I got your package with the picture frames and I loved em! I can see your faces everyday now! That recording was great, I miss you. By the way, Christmas music is not a good idea...well, I love it, but it does make me miss y'all! Especially "I'll be home for Christmas..." But it's all worth it, I promise! I'll be back before you know it. Just think, after this Christmas it'll be on more and then it's less than three months. CRAZY! Halloween this week, what should I be? I was thinking a Mormon missionary, but I'm not sure. We'll see.
Love you so much,
Elder Weight
P.S. If you ever have any questions or anything you want me to tell you just send me an email! I love questions.
No comments:
Post a Comment