Another week has flown by! It seems like I was just at this same computer yesterday. This week was great though! We finally had some cold weather this week. It got down to about 50 degrees this week, it was glorious. I actually used a blanket at night, it was weird. But the heat has already returned, and I think this week will be bad. We´ll just have to see!
So Tuesday we played some more basketball and it was awesome. We are finding so many interested people from doing this. One of us will be playing while the other sits on the sideline and talks to people. They´re always asking us questions about the church and what we do and things like this. The only problem for me, is my Portuguese haha. I can have a conversation and understand what they say, but my Portuguese is so limited, the conversations are pretty awkward. I still don´t know how to have a normal sounding conversation haha. So this Tuesday I was feeling kinda discouraged because of the language and then this guy just starts speaking to me in English! Turns out he studied English in Kentucky for 6 months and played some basketball there. He told me he had a friend who served a mission in Utah and another friend who plays basketball at SUU. He said he wants to learn more about the church so we got his address and passed it to the missionaries who live in his area. Pretty cool huh? As soon as I get discouraged about not being able to speak, the Lord provides a way for me to speak!
Investigator wise this week was pretty great! Turns out Cristofer lives just outside our area, so we had to pass him over to the other area. But it´s in the same building as us so that shouldn't be a problem. He´ll be baptized there for sure. But this week Adriana, a less active, came to church with her three kids! We taught them this week and committed two of the kids, Richard and Emily to baptism. The other daughter is too young to be baptized. But she knew some of the members and they were all so welcoming and it was just perfect. The kids loved church and can´t wait for their baptisms. They have to come to church one more time, and then they´ll be baptized the first of March. Lui also brought two kids to church! There´s this less active family that lives across the street from him, and there´s four kids living there who are not baptized. The kids adore Lui and so he brought them to church with him. The only problem is, there's a new rule that kids have to attend church for 3 months before being baptized now, if they don´t have a parent with them. So we´re going to work on reactivating the parents so all the kids can be baptized. We have a family night marked with them this week and an activity this Saturday that they all want to come to, so that´s great. Other than that though, we really don´t have anyone else that could be baptized soon. We have a lot of investigators that just won´t progress, so this week we´re going to start focusing on people that actually have potential. Also, we´re gonna start cleaning the ward roster up. There are over 600 people on the roster, with only 100 coming each week. So we´re gonna start visiting all the inactive people to see if they still live there, if they´re interested in coming back, etc. etc. We have a lot of stuff to do with so little time! This week should be good, we have a lot of family nights with members, the other companionship has a baptism, and an activity Saturday! Should be great.
Love you all, and hope everything is going well. I pray for everyone of you everyday and I think about you all the time. I miss you so much, but I know what I´m doing has a purpose. Not trying to boast or anything, but I have helped a lot of people and it´s so rewarding. Missions are wonderful and hard and great and hard and energizing and hard and...hard. Yep. But hard things is what makes everything worth it. So don´t run from hard times but embrace them and get over them! It makes the good times all the better.
Love you all!
Elder Weight
So Tuesday we played some more basketball and it was awesome. We are finding so many interested people from doing this. One of us will be playing while the other sits on the sideline and talks to people. They´re always asking us questions about the church and what we do and things like this. The only problem for me, is my Portuguese haha. I can have a conversation and understand what they say, but my Portuguese is so limited, the conversations are pretty awkward. I still don´t know how to have a normal sounding conversation haha. So this Tuesday I was feeling kinda discouraged because of the language and then this guy just starts speaking to me in English! Turns out he studied English in Kentucky for 6 months and played some basketball there. He told me he had a friend who served a mission in Utah and another friend who plays basketball at SUU. He said he wants to learn more about the church so we got his address and passed it to the missionaries who live in his area. Pretty cool huh? As soon as I get discouraged about not being able to speak, the Lord provides a way for me to speak!
Investigator wise this week was pretty great! Turns out Cristofer lives just outside our area, so we had to pass him over to the other area. But it´s in the same building as us so that shouldn't be a problem. He´ll be baptized there for sure. But this week Adriana, a less active, came to church with her three kids! We taught them this week and committed two of the kids, Richard and Emily to baptism. The other daughter is too young to be baptized. But she knew some of the members and they were all so welcoming and it was just perfect. The kids loved church and can´t wait for their baptisms. They have to come to church one more time, and then they´ll be baptized the first of March. Lui also brought two kids to church! There´s this less active family that lives across the street from him, and there´s four kids living there who are not baptized. The kids adore Lui and so he brought them to church with him. The only problem is, there's a new rule that kids have to attend church for 3 months before being baptized now, if they don´t have a parent with them. So we´re going to work on reactivating the parents so all the kids can be baptized. We have a family night marked with them this week and an activity this Saturday that they all want to come to, so that´s great. Other than that though, we really don´t have anyone else that could be baptized soon. We have a lot of investigators that just won´t progress, so this week we´re going to start focusing on people that actually have potential. Also, we´re gonna start cleaning the ward roster up. There are over 600 people on the roster, with only 100 coming each week. So we´re gonna start visiting all the inactive people to see if they still live there, if they´re interested in coming back, etc. etc. We have a lot of stuff to do with so little time! This week should be good, we have a lot of family nights with members, the other companionship has a baptism, and an activity Saturday! Should be great.
Love you all, and hope everything is going well. I pray for everyone of you everyday and I think about you all the time. I miss you so much, but I know what I´m doing has a purpose. Not trying to boast or anything, but I have helped a lot of people and it´s so rewarding. Missions are wonderful and hard and great and hard and energizing and hard and...hard. Yep. But hard things is what makes everything worth it. So don´t run from hard times but embrace them and get over them! It makes the good times all the better.
Love you all!
Elder Weight
No comments:
Post a Comment