Follow Chase while he is in Brazil! We will post his weekly email/pictures on this blog.

Monday, May 19, 2014

Welcome to Ijuí, Elder Bruxa


Well, I made it to Ijuí safe and sound! I’ve only been here a week, but I already love this city so much! It’s a lot bigger than I expected it to be, since it’s not Santa Maria haha. But it has a super market and everything! There are a lot of great people here and I’m excited to work here for a little while!

So Monday was my last day in Santa Maria, so I did a goodbye tour, visiting tons of members. I promised them all I would introduce them to my parents, so I think your obligated to come pick me up now Mom and Dad! I’ll miss them so much, they were so great to me. Tuesday I packed everything up and headed to the bus station. My bus was the last one to leave, and it was just me and one other elder. We read our tickets wrong and we were waiting at the wrong terminal and missed our bus. whoops haha. So we had to buy tickets ourselves and wait an extra two hours. But it worked out fine! We arrived here in Ijuí and met our companions! My companion is Elder Souza. He is probably one of the funniest persons (people? grr English) I’ve ever met. We live with another Brazilian named Elder Longo and an American, Elder Christensen from Oregon. They are also pretty funny people, so I’m pretty sure I’ve laughed more this week than my entire mission haha! Not really, but close to it. Elder Souza is from the northeast and Elder Longo is from Sao Paulo, and they are always trying to prove that they’re state is better than the other. It’s hilarious. This is going to be a fun transfer, for sure.

This week I’ve been getting to know the members, investigators and everything which has been fun. The members are a little crazy, but they’re such good people. They are so kind to us and I already love them so much! We had lunch with a family this week, and one of the little girls was trying to pronounce my name, but it just wasn’t coming out right. She was finally able to say "Elder Witch." So I said "exactly!" and she continued to call me Elder Witch. So then my companion began to call me Elder Bruxa - witch in Portuguese. By the end of the lunch the entire family was calling me Elder Bruxa (pronounced brusha) and the Elders continue until now haha. But then the other day, another little boy called my companion "Elder African" so we’re even now. :)

We did 3 service projects this week, One with a family of investigators. It was great to help out, but they were back to back to back, so we were down right exhausted. It was a total of about 14 hours of heavy work, and on top of all that, i got pretty sick. Luckily it only lasted about 24 hours, but it was a miserable 24 hours. I have great companions who take care of me though, so it’s all good!

Okay, this email has been all over the place, but I’m doing well! I’m so excited to be here right now, change has been really good for me. I love being a missionary, teaching and testifying that God still cares about us. He truly loves us and wants us to be happy. He has established a church that is the same in Utah, Alabama, Brazil and the entire world, to help you become a better person. What better message is there to share with all the world?! I don’t think there is one.

I hope you’re all doing well! I love you and miss you and think about you daily! Keep pushing along and remember: "You can do hard things!"

Love,
Elder Bruxa

No comments:

Post a Comment