Follow Chase while he is in Brazil! We will post his weekly email/pictures on this blog.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Winter!!

Well, the number one news here in Ijuí: Winter has arrived! I never thought it would come, but it’s finally here! It’s both a wonderful and horrible thing. Wonderful because i don’t die of heat stroke walking everywhere. But horrible because my hands are always frozen. Wonderful because i am able to sleep at night with lots of blankets. Horrible because I have to get out of my bed in the morning. Wonderful to finally see my breath when I walk outside again. Horrible to see my breath inside my own apartment. And that about sums up winter here in Rio Grande do Sul! I think I’ve decided i like it, though. People let us into their homes more often when they see us freezing on their doorstep. Haha and I think I’m just more of a cold person. Always have been and always will be! Now I just need it to snow and I can die in peace.

So other than the cold, it was a great week! We have a family of investigators, and they are golden! It’s a father and mother with three children. They are legally married, they are interested and they accepted the invite to be baptized. But, the one problem is that the father works in Porto Alegre almost every Sunday so he can’t come to church. We were thinking and praying about how we could find a solution to this, but we just couldn’t think of anything except to just wait. Then, we visited them and found out that he has asked a transfer (he works for the military there) to the base here in Ijuí. And he said if they don’t allow it, he’s going to quit and pursue some other job offer he has here in ijuí. How amazing is that?! This will allow him to come to church on Sundays and in turn, to be baptized. I could see him as a great leader in the church, and this ward NEEDS some great leaders. It’s pretty sad to see, but this ward is really falling apart...We had 64 people at sacrament meeting yesterday which is quite sad for a ward. There is so much judging and gossip and rumors, and it just tears the people apart. But I think a turn around is coming up! We’re working hard and trying to get a better attitude going. There are a lot of good members in this ward who want to work and want things to get better. We’re going to start doing family nights twice or three times a week to try to get some more unity in the ward. We’re going to try to focus on bringing less actives to the family nights to make friendships and to help them feel loved. And of course, we’re going to try to find families to teach and baptize, because missionary work always helps people get energized. The ward here is great, it just needs a boost, so I’m hoping I can help out! 

I’ll just put out this one word: Make sure you are going to church for the right reasons. And if you’re not going to church because of another person, remember that we go to church to become closer to the Lord and to show our love for Him and most importantly to renew our covenants. Don’t forget that!

What else happened this week...I gave a talk on Sunday! My first talk here in Brazil. I was given 10 minutes and ended up talking for 15..whoops. It’s so strange, before the mission, I could barely get enough content to talk 10 minutes. But yesterday, I prepared a 15 minute talk (in Portuguese!) in just one hour. It’s crazy how much I’m learning and i don’t even realize it! I have much more knowledge of the scriptures now, and most importantly my testimony has grown - of the church, of the scriptures, and of our Savior. I know that he lives and that he truly loves us. Honestly, I can’t explain to you how I know. I can’t explain why I know. But I can say with a surety - Jesus Christ is my savior, my brother, and my friend. I’m not perfect, but because of him I can continually do better and one day be perfected. "I’m a Mormon: I know it, I live it, I love it."

Love you all so much! Keep doing the little things. Keep me in your prayers, cause a mission isn’t easy. I pray for you every night and hope all is well. Until next week!

Love,
Elder Weight

No comments:

Post a Comment