Follow Chase while he is in Brazil! We will post his weekly email/pictures on this blog.

Monday, July 21, 2014

Weeks are flyin

Another week has flown by! I can´t believe it´s already July 21, it felt like my birthday was yesterday! Time is a weird thing, you know that? We had an awesome week. We had some great activities, found some new investigators and ate some really good food. 

So on Thursday we had a Ward Family Night at the church. We played a lot of games with the kids, shared a few mormon messages, and ate a lot of good food. We´ve been trying to have ward family nights every thursday for about two month now. At first the same 10 people game every time. Then it started getting bigger and bigger, and this last thursday we had almost 60 people at the activity! Considering the frequency of the ward on Sundays is 80, that is a pretty sucessful activity. We had lots of investigators and less actives there too, and they all really liked it. So then on Saturday there was a "Festa Junina" at the church. It was basically like a ward carnival with games and prizes and popcorn and trampolines. There were almost 150 people there! It was awesome. That morning, we were supposed to eat lunch with a member, but the bishop called us and told us he would have pizza at the church for us. We show up, and they were setting up for the carnival. Then the bishop starts working us like slaves to help set up. Turns out, there was no pizza, he just said that to get us to show up! He did bring us some food eventually, but before we knew it, the party was starting and the bishop signed us up to be in charge of the games for all the kids. I got put at the pop the baloons with blow darts station, and let me tell you now - I will never work at Lagoon as the game guy. It started out okay, but then i allowed one of the little kids to try a little bit closer then the rest. Before I knew it, every kid in the line was basically on top of me screaming it wasn´t fair and that they would shoot from cloer too. Then one of the little kids grabs a dart and starts popping all the ballons he could reach and it was a disaster. But eventually, I took control of everything and it calmed down quite a bit. But now i´m rethinking my dream of having a big family haha! But it was a great activity, and everyone really liked it.

So with our investigators, we are teaching lots of kids right now. There are a lot of less active families with kids who are not baptized that we are working with. But one of these families have come to church 2 sundays in a row, with the activities inbetween as well. They are really liking the church, and they have two kids who will be baptized for sure. I have really grown close to this family, they are so great! One of their daughters looks/reminds me a lot of Erica. Maybe that´s why I like them so much! Haha, I´ll have to bring you to meet them one day! We have also begun to teach a members new boyfriend. Her husband died about a year ago, and she has begun to date a new guy. He´s a really great guy, and came to the activity on Thursday. If he wants to marry her, he´s gonna have to get baptized, so maybe that´ll be a helpful motivation for us ;)

To end it today, I thought I´d tell you about some of the food I ate this week. I don´t talk much about the food here, but let me tell ya, there´s some good stuff. Yesterday we had a churrasco (bbq), but it was a real one, none of this hot dogs and hamburgers. It was sausage and beef and chicken and pork and chicken hearts. (Yes, chicken hearts. It´s actually quite common here). The other day we had a fried chicken dinner, and it felt like I was back in Alabama again, it was wonderful. Top it off with potato salad and coke, and it was almost as if i had gone home early! mmmm I love food.

I really don´t know why i put that last part in, i think i´m just really hungry right now. haha I gotta get going, but I hope you all have a great week! My scripture thought for the week is Matthew 11:28-30 along with Elder Bednars conference talk. We all have burdens placed upon us, but these burdens aren´t to weigh us down, they are put there to strengthen us, so that we can carry the heavy loads. When we take upon us the name of Christ, he gives us extra strength to be able to carry the weight. He may not take the weight away from us, but he will give us the capacity to bear our burdens with ease. That what I´ve been thinking about lately - cause the mission is not easy. I have a great burden placed on my back, and sometimes it feels like I can´t go on anymore, but through prayer and scripture study, i always seem to find the strength I need - strength which comes from the grace of Jesus Christ. I love you all!!!!!! 

Elder Weight


See if you can record a play from the shakespeare festival or something, or I might just die of depression.

No comments:

Post a Comment