I had quite a special week this week! Many miracles have been hapening and it´s so cool to see. At the beginning of the week, I did a division with Elder Nascimento, one of the zone leaders here. He speaks english fluently so it was quite enjoyable to finally speak a bit of engish haha! We taught some great lessons and had a lot of fun together. Then I got back together with my comp and we taught the wife of the second counselor in our ward who is not a member. She has been having lots of problems with depression, and was actually in Porto Alegre for 3 weeks for treatment. We have been teaching her for awhile now, but she never displayed much interest. But we had a really spiritual lesson with her and she began to cry which she had never done before. Before she just completely ignored us, but something got to her this lesson and now she has been showing more interest. It was an awesome experience. Later we taught the little girl we met at the churro stand. Her name is Julia and she has got to be one of the smartest little girls I have ever met. We met her parents as well, who are amazing people. They are both members, who have fallen away from the church. They told us they still have strong testimony´s of the church and that they will return at the right moment, but the most important part to help them would be to teach Julia. So we began teaching her, and she began to tell us she had a friend at school who lost her parents. She told us she began praying, asking God why he would allow this to happen and for him to send her answers. A few days later, we ran into them at the churro stand. We taught her about the Book of Mormon and joseph smith, and gave her a hard cover copy of the Book of Mormon, and she got so happy. She told us she was going to read the entire thing before we came back. She is such a special little girl, and I felt the spirit so strong as I taught her. After the lesson she began to converse politics with us and who she would vote for and why. It was adorable.
Afterward, we visited that other family we ran into by accident looking for the drunk guy last week. We show up and she just starts feeding us a bunch of food. Then it turns out her dauther is the leader of the catholic youth in the area, and they were planning to have a meeting at her house. We played the mormon message that shows an earthly father and compares it to our heavenly father, and the father of the family was crying at the end of it. We shared a message with everyone that was there and invited them all to church. They all seemed pretty interested even being part of the catholic youth group. So basically we´re gonna convert all the youth of the catholic church, it´s no big deal. Haha but we have a family night with all of them, it should be great. To top it all of, that night we had a baptism! Well technically it wasn´t ours. But about a month ago, a member from our ward brought one of her friends to church. We began to teach him, but turns out he lives in the other ward, so we had to pass him to the other elders. But he got baptized this week and asked us to watch. It was a sweet little baptism, and he is the man. He is definitely an example of the elect that are lost, just because they don´t know where to find the truth.
Church was great, but had few people. This ward has been having some difficulties lately, and it seems like we work so hard and then no one shows up to church. It´s frustrating at times, and during sacrament meeting I was kinda sad. But during the last hymn, Where can I turn for peace, I felt the spirit so strong telling me things would get better, and that God is proud of what I am doing. That very day we found a new investigator with lots of potential, found out one of our investigators wants to move out of her house which would solve the problem of her not being married to her boyfriend she doesn´t even like and then we had an awesome family night. Then I get online today, and see an email from Rick and Jody, a couple from Huntsville Alabama. They got married and Jody was baptized the last week before I left for Brazil. Now they will be sealed in the temple in December. I could not believe my eyes as I read that email. God truly does know me and brought be comfort when I needed it most. These entire two years are all worth it, just for the chance to help a couple be sealed for all time and eternity. I am so grateful for my mission and for all the valuable lessons I continue to learn. I know that God lives and that he loves each and every one of you. He answers prayers, and still works miracles in our lives today. I miss all of you so much, but I know the work I am doing here will have a lasting impact, even if I don´t see the results. I can´t believe how quickly my mission is already ending and I want to make the best of these last few months. I´m so excited to get to work again this week and I will talk to you all Monday!
Love,
Elder Weight
No comments:
Post a Comment