Follow Chase while he is in Brazil! We will post his weekly email/pictures on this blog.

Monday, October 27, 2014

Sicknesses...but with cookies and maple!

This was quite an interesting week, full of suprises. Elder McArthur got some intestinal disease from something he ate this week and was in bed basically the entire week. Then my companion also got sick, so I had a different companion basically everyday this week. It made things hard, cause I was basically teaching investigators in two different areas, so I didn´t have a lot of time to focus on all the people and potential investigators I am already teaching. But I was still able to have a great week!

So Julia is doing great, definitely one of the smartest girls I´ve met. We were teaching about the sacrament, and before we even explained anything, she ran into her room, grabbed a piece of paper and began to explain how baptism is like a contract we make with God. But sometimes we do bad things, so it´s like we rip the contract a little when we don´t do what´s right. She began to rip little pieces of the paper and then explained the sacrament is like restoring the contract to make it new again. Yeah, I´d say she understands the gospel. We´re hoping to baptize her on her birthday which is the 8th of November, but it might have to be later depending on her plans. 

Marcos is doing well, turns out it might take even LONGER for their wedding to work out, because of the marraige system here in the city. We´ll see for sure this week when is the soonest date they can be married, hopefully before the transfer. The catholic youth we have been teaching are doing well, they are reading and praying to find the truth of the book of mormon, but it´s looking like they like their own church and aren´t looking for anything else. But we met the boyfriend of one of them who is a really cool guy who is really interested to learn more. He always calls me sir, it makes me feel old haha. But we´ll see if it works out between the two of them.

This week we had two family nights with members and investigators which were awesome. At the first I made chocolate chip cookies, which were delicious, and everyone was dying over them. I´m probably gonna buy all the ingredients to make some for myself, cause they were so good. The second I made pancakes and maple syrup. The pancakes they make here are bascially the crepes we make there, they had never had the thick pancakes we eat there. They all loved the pancakes as well, although they said the maple was too sweet haha. But the members brought a new couple for us to teach, and we brought a few other investigators as well. It was awesome.

But other than that, there´s not much more news! My companion and I are getting along great. He is the first companion I have had that is showing an interest in american football, it´s great. He is officially a Chargers fan, and we usually spend our free time talking about the rules, players, teams and everything. Let me just say, I really miss football. That will be a bright part about coming home haha. But yeah, Elder Cotrim is a great missionary, a great person, and I will remember him for the rest of my life. He has a strong testimony and has really helped me to stay strong, even as I head to the final stretch of my mission. I feel the spirit with him every day and I really hope I get to stay longer with him!!!

I have to get going, but i love y'all! The church is true. God lives. Christ loves you. I love you. So have a wonderful week!

Love,
Elder Weight

Here´s a cool email I got from my boy Elder Fredrickson, assistant in the Alabama Birmingham mission:

Tuesday morning about 7:30 am I was looking to sit down and study when I found myself just staring at the transfer board and thinking about the missionaries. Saw a picture of Sister Carlson in Hamilton Alabama, and immediately thought about a woman named Diana that I had referred her to a year ago while serving in Vestavia Hills. 

To set the scene, Elder Weight, McGee, and I were on the 31 en route to the Wahler's house. When we stepped on we all instinctively found 3 separated empty seats in the bus and all talked to the folks aside us. Elder Weight and McGee were fabulous missionaries. 

As I started talking to this woman Diana, I quickly realized that she was very attentive and captivated. She was Hispanic and spoke perfect English. As I taught her about the Book of Mormon, she took the book from me and I moved on to a new victim.

By the end of our travel, she had read the entire intro and testimonies along with a few chapters of 1 Nephi. We referred her to the Hoover Sisters, and then didn't here from her again. We followed up with the missionaries every night in Hoover, no luck. Dag nab. 

Fast forward to this week 15 months later. I knock on her door now serving in Hoover, with Elder Savage on exchange. She smiles at our sight and we set up a return appointment. We bring Kristina (another investigator set to be baptized April 2015 bc of some parent probs) both previously Catholic. 


In tears, Diana expresses to me that 15 months ago on that bus, 30 seconds before meeting us she had prayed "for guidance". Since that time she had lost the book in a move, and had 5 friends attempt to give her spiritual guidance. She recognized us as an answer to prayers. And is set to be baptized. 

No comments:

Post a Comment