Follow Chase while he is in Brazil! We will post his weekly email/pictures on this blog.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Week 6: Out of the frying pan, into the fire!


Hey y'all! How's it goin! I feel like I just talked to you! Oh wait... ;)
 
I guess I'll update the friends and extended family on what's goin on. I left Saturday morning at 5:00 am to head out to Alabama! We got all checked in at the airport which took forever but made it on to the plane with about ten minutes to spare. We were all spread out throughout the plane and I sat next to a lady from England. She was really nice but didn't seem to like the church too much. Haha. So then we landed in Dallas and had a 4 hour layover there. We ate food and then I got to talk to you for like an hour! That was awesome. It's so good to hear your voices and know that you're doing well. And I'm so glad I got to talk to Erica and Seven! That was a treat.
 
So then we got on our flight to Alabama which was fine. We landed and met the AP's there then hopped in a van to go "meet" the mission president! He was in Tennessee at the time so he talked to us on the phone. He seems like an awesome guy, I think I'll like him a lot. He basically just told us not to worry about the visas and to be happy here! We're here for a reason and we'll get to Brazil when we need to. So that's awesome. So then we ate some food and then headed out to our areas! I am in Clanton, AL right now which is about 40 minutes south of Birmingham. It's not very big but our area covers a lot more than Clanton. It's pretty hick town out here but I love it. The people are all so nice and welcoming! Definitely southern hospitality. We got to our apartment when we found out we (Elder Henderson and I) are still companions! We have no trainer; just two sister missionaries who have been here for about 2 weeks. They've been helping us out but we are still pretty on our own! They basically just told us how to get to church, gave us our bikes and said good luck! We couldn't beleive it the first night. It was pretty crazy! We checked the area books and found out they had basically 0 investigators. Or, if they did have any, they never wrote anything down. So that's pretty frustrating. We'll try to build up the pool a bit but right now we're a little lost!
 
So yesterday we just showed up at church in the Clanton Branch! There are about 35 active members with almost 200 on the register. So there's lots of less active work to do here! After church we pretty much just visited whoever they told us to! We talked to a girl named Miranda who is actually getting baptized tomorrow! She likes to ask lots of questions and loves talking to the missionaries. She's 15 and says she wants to be baptized to come closer to God. It's pretty cool! So after talking with her a bit, we went to Brother Mitcham's house. He is a member who just loves taking the missionaries everywhere. He's a really nice guy but says some crazy things sometimes. It's pretty funny. So we clipped some roses at his house then handed them out at the nursing home. We also visited a lady in the nursing home and took her the sacrament.
 
So (I guess I'll start every paragraph with 'so') then we visted a lady who recently broke her back while visiting with her sister who is a member. She has been to the hospital twice now and they won't admit her since she's not from alabama. She's been in lots of pain so we shared the first lesson with her and gave her a book of Mormon. She said she'd read it which is awesome! She had lots of random questions and LOVES to refer to the Bible. Welcome to the south. Everyone has a church and everyone loves Jesus. I guess that just makes it easier to talk about Jesus, right? We visited her again this morning to help set up a hospital bed for her and gave her a blessing. The Spirit was so strong! She said she could feel it so hopefully she reads the Book of Mormon and gains her own testimony of the truth!
 
So after we talked to her, we had a zone activity out near Prattville. We had no way to get there since our morning visit was a bit of an emergency. But luckily Brother Mitcham was with us and he said he was willing to take us! I think he is just sad he didn't get to be a missionary so he hangs with us to feel like one. He looooooves to talk and talked pretty much the whole way there and the whole way back. Most of what he says is true but some of it is a little off...once again...welcome to the south. So the activity was fine-kinda lame-but we got to see Sister Card and Sister Jensen! They were in our district in the MTC and it turns out they're in our district! It was fun to talk to them and find out how they're doing.
 
So we've had a busy two days, but it's a good busy! It is HARD work and very tiring but it's also rewarding! I'm doing pretty well, I just wish I was a little more in shape for the bike riding...ha. But it'll all work out! The weather has been nice, but it's starting to get hot...when we first got here it was raining but now it's just nice and sunny. Anyway, I don't have a lot of time but I love you all! Make sure you write or email me! I'll put my address at the end. I haven't had hardly any time to do any hand writing, but I'll get going on that! Love you! Stay strong! Talk to you next Monday!
 
Love, Elder Weight
 
Address:
Elder Weight

No comments:

Post a Comment